Monday, August 30, 2010

Weekend

Well, it's Monday again.  Which I guess has to happen, but the weekend went by too fast, which also tends to happen.

Saturday I went for a run, just to relax, but alas relax did not find me.  Why?  Because thousands of people were lining up outside my apartment to go to the Washington Monument.  Now, don't think I'm ignorant, I knew that a rally was going on, but being from small town USA I had no idea it would be that insane.  And it hadn't even started yet.  No, I was there early, running in the opposite direction from everyone else.  And as I was running I felt like I was going the wrong way in a stampede because I am pretty sure that everyone, and I mean everyone in DC was going to gather at the rally, whether they were supporting it, protesting it, or just checking it out from a neutral standpoint.

But I guess if I haven't learned by now, then it's my fault.  This is DC, and in DC everywhere is flooded with everyone.  It isn't really a bad thing.  Actually it isn't a bad thing at all because while it may be strange to go running and see more people than the total population of my city, it is amazing (in some strange sort of way) at the same time.  (Even if I was going against the crowd and had to dodge them all in a human version of frogger.)  

Once I finally did get to the other side of the street, I was able to relax with some good old fashion political  research. Oh, was that nice.

One paper outline and an annotated bibliography later, it was finally Saturday night and it was a pretty good night if I say so myself.  My housemates and I had a Mexican fiesta night.  Basically I stood by and watched my awesome roomates make delicious, super spicy Mexican food and then we all took it and ate outside on our back patio, lined with mini candles.  That was perfect.  You don't get much better than good food and a nice cool night.    Now, while it is hot here in DC, it does make for perfect nights, and even though I live in the middle of the city, you still can see a few stars, which, for me, is imperative for a night to be classified as complete.

The next day was good to though.  I went out to the Nationals/Cardinals baseball game, and it was pretty sweet.  The game only costed $5 dollars to get into and the seats were pretty decent for that price (and in the shade).  I would highly suggest going to a game, because it was totally worth it.  The stadium is really nice and while I know that the Nationals may not be a major team on many people's list to go see, they can still beat the Cards, so they can't be that bad.  (Sorry, but I'm from Illinois.)  Besides, what better way to enjoy the nation's capital then sitting back with a hot dog watching America's past time.  

One last quick thing, on my way back I learned one very important lesson about DC; say anything you want about the metro system here, after a baseball game, they know what they are doing.  They had the metro ready and waiting for all us baseball fans and loaded that thing up to full capacity.  Rush hour, yes you may experience delays or unexpected stops, but go to use that form of public transportation after a game, and it will be efficient.  Mark my words.

But alas, the weekend is over and it is Monday, so I guess time for me to stop procrastinating and actually get some things done.  One memorandum coming up...

No comments:

Post a Comment