Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Classes

So my first day of class was so overwhelming.  I received my first syllabus (all eleven pages of it), my nine book booklist, and my first assignment: to come up with and research the topic I want to write a 35-60 page paper on.  Oh, and I had to make up my mind in five days.  I thought, "yeah, I'm hopping on a plane and going back to Illinois, because I can't handle this." And then I remembered that it was my choice to come here and my pride forced me to suck it up.

The research project is optional for a lot of schools, including mine.  (Yeah, I'm one of the fools doing it voluntarily.)  What it asks is for students to conduct original research using resources unique to DC, such as interviewing lobbyist or congressional staff members.  Things that we couldn't do at our home schools.  I thought this sounded like a great opportunity, so I agreed to do it, but its going to be a lot of work.

Anyway, so I found out all the work I had to do and it seemed like a lot.  Then classes started, which I know I run the risk of sounding like a nerd when I say this, but they were actually pretty cool.  Yesterday I had two guest speakers, who were both really awesome.  The coolest part is that everything the speakers say is "off the record" so it really feels like your getting the inside scoop.  It was a pretty good intro to DC living.

And then today was cool to because we went to the newseum.  For class.  The newseum is really awesome and I would totally recommend it.  It is a museum of news.  But wait, before you judge me and think I'm lame, let me explain it.  It has everything.  From history to current events.  And it talks about every event in the US's past.  The best part is this one room lined with old newspapers ranging from before the revolutionary war to today.  And I mean the real newspapers, what they looked like back when they were published.  Ok maybe I am a nerd.  But still, it was a really cool museum and that was what we got to do for class.

So maybe I can handle this.  Maybe class won't be that bad and I can do it.  Well let's see.  I will wait it out and give it a chance.

But if I could give advise to anyone going into this program (at least as much advice as someone's who's been here a week can give) it would be to wait it out.  When you get here, it will be overwhelming and it will seem like a lot to handle, but stick it out.  Don't assume that you can't do it, just make sure you stay on top of everything you have to do.  And have fun.  That's what I'm trying to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment