Friday, November 12, 2010

Supreme Court Visit


I went to see the Supreme Court on Wednesday.  It was really cool.  Literally, cold.  We had to get up super early and dress up.  Then I walked the two blocks to the Supreme Court and had to wait outside in line.  And wait I did.  I got there at 6 in the morning.  They moved us into a stricter line at 7:00 and then at 7:30, gave us all tickets.  Yup, I waited in line for an hour and a half to get into the Supreme Court.  Waiting in line would not of been bad was I wearing clothes (we had to dress up, so no warm clothes for me) and the weather was not so cool outside.

Once, I had my ticket though, we walked to a local coffee shop, the Firehook, to grab breakfast and coffee.  (Side note-Firehook is really good and well reasonably priced, if your looking for coffee of a good breakfast place, this would be it).  Also, the coffee shop had the most important quality: it was warm. But alas, come 8:15, I had to head back into the cool, cool weather and wait in line again.

Finally, it came to the time when we were let into the building.  Let in only to go through two more security detectors.  Finally I got inside the Supreme Court courtroom.  It was worth it.  Well, originally I was stuck in a seat in the back and couldn’t see anything, but once I was able to move to a better seat, it was worth it. 

The case I saw was on taxation of the railroads in Alabama.  If you ever have the chance, I suggest you go to the Supreme Court.  It is really neat to see how the justices interact with each other.  They will ask the lawyer arguing the case all types of questions and talk to each other through the questions they ask. 

I suggest going.  It was a unique experience and it is amazing to see how the laws of our country are being defended, upheld, and dismissed.  Just make sure you get there early.  You don’t want to wait outside for two hours and not be allowed in.  You have to be one of the first 50 people.  Good luck.       

No comments:

Post a Comment