Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Congressional Hearings

For class today we had to go to a congressional hearing.  I went to one on Filibuster reform.  It was really interesting.  And it was super easy to go.  All I had to do was look up what hearings where going on that day and find one that was interesting to me at a time that worked for me.  I then walked one block up the street (yeah living on Capital Hill), went through the basic security check that it seems one has to go through in ever DC building, and walk up to the third floor.

It would seem that it would take more to get the chance to see a Congressional hearing, but really it wasn't bad at all.  My professor told me that there would be a super long line, so I got there an hour early and I ended up sitting out there for an hour.  Alone.

But once it was time to go in, it was worth the wait.  I walked into a room with huge windows covered with light blue curtains and gold trimming around the walls.  There was a stage set for the panel and a smaller table for the witnesses.  I made my way to the audience chairs and must I say that for audience chairs, they were mighty comfortable.

I looked around and saw all the cameras and hoped that I wouldn't get captured on one of them and shown on the most popular CSPAN.

It does make me laugh thinking about it, as I remember the staff putting out the Congressmen's water-glasses and opening their water bottles for them, so the seal would be broken already when they went to drink from them.

The hearing itself was really interesting.  It was formal, but had a light feeling.  There was an into from the chairman, then the two Senators presenting bills spoke, then everyone on the panel had a chance to voice their opinions.  Finally witnesses where asked to give testimony and then answer questions from the panel.  Everyone was allowed five minutes to state their case, which may not seem like a long time, but boy could they get their opinions in.

If your ever in the DC area and have some time I highly suggest going to a hearing.  I know that it may sound boring, but you learn a lot and it is very easy to go.  You get to see Senators up close and personal, hear what they really think (of issues and each other), and learn about issues that could become new laws.  Overall a well worth it experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment