Sunday, September 26, 2010

DC Food

Ok, so I know that writing an entire blog about food, does make me sound like a fatty, but I can't help it there are so many places that deserve shout-outs, and if your coming here, you should know about them.


1. Taylor Gourmet:  This is a deli place and it is fabulous.  Located in several places throughout the DC area, the food is reasonably priced (for DC) and the sandwiches are huge. I got a 12 inch and it was enough food for four meals.  But this isn't just quantity, we're talking quality as well.  I used to be a picky eater, but with this sandwich, load it all on, the tomatoes, the onions, the vinegar oil.  Everything, totally worth it.  And this is so not one of your over the counter, throw at you sandwich, they cut their own meat and make the sandwich tailored to you.    


2.  If a good old fashion burger is what you're looking for, you have a few options.  If classic is what your looking for, I suggest Five Guys, which is, yes fast food and a chain, but it is cheap and tastes like a real burger, yes, a real, made from meat burger.  And you get to pick your own toppings, which are real as well.  Trust me, worth it.  Oh, but a bit of advice, do not, and I repeat do not order a large order of fries.  I ordered a large fry and three people tried to split it, we didn't make a dent in them.  Save your money and order a small.
a) Another good burger joint is Good Stuff (Capital Hill).  Now this is not for classical burger taste.  This is a burger with a modern twist, so definitely fit more for those adventurous types.  And if you go, order fries, they are not what you typically expect, but you need to try them at least once.   


3.  Milkshakes.  Now I have a sweet-tooth like nobody's business, so trust me I know my milkshakes.  Z-Burger at Tenley Campus is amazing.  It is just a little burger joint, but they have the craziest varieties of shakes.  I had a rocky road milkshake and I'm pretty sure I was drinking heaven in a glass.


4.  All college students need to know about a good pizza joint.  Armand's Pizza (located in Tenley and Capital Hill) is definitely the way to go.  It is thick crust, Chicago style pizza, with still a reasonable price.  You can get a classic cheese and meat, but they also have crazy varieties as well, if you're feeling adventurous.  


5.  If non American food is what your looking for, I suggest Mings in Chinatown.  I went there and had really good sushi.  Now I am no sushi expert (it was actually my first time) but the people I went with said it was good and they were no first-timers.  So this joint I think is good for all around, whether you are a beginner and want to try some basic sushi or whether you are looking to spice it up a bit more.  

6. Dr. Granville Moore's Brickyard on H street is great for some chill atmosphere.  I had their muscles and they were so good.  There have several different flavors, so I suggest getting a crazy kind that you've never heard of before because you won't be disappointed.  However, the serving sizes are huge.  Two people can defiantly split one serving and in DC you can't take seafood home with you, so don't plan on getting more than you can eat.  It's all or nothing.

7. If cheap Indian food is to your liking I will suggest Mayur Kabab House on K street.  The food is really good and spicy and inexpensive.  It cost $10 for the buffet, which includes two types of meat, two types of veggies and bread.  This is a lot of food.  Two people could split this no question.      

Ok, now that I have completely eliminated all doubt that I am obsessed with food and fattiness, I will let you go.  But trust me, I will keep you posted on the best places to eat in DC, because if you're anything like me, a good meal can make or break your love affair with a place.  Trust me DC eating will not disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment