Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I Love Globalization

So I am an American Politics student here at American, but that does not mean that is all I care about.  I actually always knew I loved international culture.  I have traveled to Europe and Asia.  And I even spent a summer in Eastern Europe, studying in Estonia, Ukraine, and Russia.  What I'm really saying is this program is pretty diverse, even if you pick a topic such as American Politics.

While globalization does sometimes get a negative connotation, I cannot hate it, because it is because of globalization that I have been exposed to more than I ever could be before.  And I personally believe that my culture has been enhanced, not lessened because of it.  I am basically saying this because the past few days I have been talking more to international students and I love them.  My roommate for one.  Ok, so I always talk to her, but she is the sweetest person I have ever met.  And I am not bias because she's my roommate, everyone who knows her says that.  (Disclaimer: I love my other roommate to, especially when she can't get out of her top bunk.)

So I always knew she was awesome, but then this weekend I was hanging out with people from my housemates' classes and they are the funniest people I have ever met.  At least, in the past few weeks.  One boy was from Germany and he and my roommate were debating which part of Germany is better: Berlin or Hamburg.  If you are ever privy to this debate, pay attention, it will create much entertainment.

Then yesterday, I was sitting outside my professor's office waiting to meet with him and I started talking to an international student from my class.  She was so funny and open.  I'm actually disappointed with myself for not talking more to her before.  We were discussing simple differences between our countries, and she started telling me about how different exams are in the United States than her country.  Apparently, we have to know more details.  She said, "back where I'm from you have to know concepts, but dates and number?  Oh now, this is ridiculous."  

I know it may seem silly, but do you know how simple interactions can just make you think.  I was actually debating studying international relations, but I love campaigning and knew I just couldn't stop myself from learning more about it while in DC.  (Yeah, I'm a nerd.)  But the program you are in should be focused on what you are interested in because you will be able to have all the interactions you want.

Like I said, or should have said if I haven't already, you get out of DC what you put into it.  If you stay in every day and don't explore, you will get an education.  But if you explore, talk to people who have different ideas or cultures from you, go to the extra conference on a Friday, or merely ears-drop on an international debate, you will so much more of an education that any school could give you.

No comments:

Post a Comment